THE 8th WORLDSKILLS RUSSIAN NATIONAL COMPETITION

Novokuznetsk is located in basin of the Tom river, a major tributary of the Ob. The city has a population of 551,880 people and a total area of 424.27 sq. km. 

Novokuznetsk is the largest industrial city of Kuzbass. There are more than a thousand industrial enterprises, and the city accounts for nearly a third of small and medium-sized businesses of the entire Kuzbass region. Industry consists mainly of metallurgy, mining and metal product manufacturing. These sectors account for 81% of goods and services supplied by the city. The city plays a key role in the socio-economic development of the entire region. 

Novokuznetsk is one of the oldest cities in Kuzbass and Siberia. In 2018, it celebrated its 400th anniversary. The city’s glorious history dates back to 1618, when the Kuznetsky Ostrog, the first fortress in Siberia that protected Russia’s south-eastern borders, was founded. 

 

 


MAIN SITE OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP
 
The “Kuzbass Fair” exhibition company (Novokuznetsk) has been holding exhibitions in Kuzbass since 1992. Over the years, Kuzbass Fair has established close business relations with many ministries, departments, industry committees, trade unions, leading Russian and foreign companies, including two well-known German companies – Messe Düsseldorf GmbH and Hansa-Messe-Speed GmbH, – and exhibition centers. Kuzbass fair holds exhibitions on more than 50 topics annually. From 100 to 700 staffers work at exhibitions, and each of the events features a rich scientific and conference program. The Kuzbass Fair exhibition centre has been chosen as the venue for the WorldSkills Russia National Competition 2020. An additional site will be built by the Competition. The exhibition centre (of a total of 140,000 sq. m.) will have zones for master classes, training and conference program. As part of security efforts, event staffers will be trained, security points will be set up, and ambulances and medical teams will be dispatched to the venue.

 



ADDITIONAL VENUE
 
Prokopyevsk Agricultural College
Novokuznetsk, Shkolny village, Sovietskaya Street, 1B


Prokopyevsk Agricultural College is one of the oldest vocational educational institutions in Kemerovo Region located in the picturesque Shkolny village of the Prokopyevsk District.
 
Stalinsk Combiner School was opened in Stalinsk (now Novokuznetsk) on February 7 in 1936, and it was relocated to the central estate of Zernosovkhoz of the Prokopyevsk District in 1937. It was a free land there, and it was necessary to plow and sow it, as well as to train workforce for their subsequent work in the villages. Shkolny village was becoming a center for youth training in agricultural trades.
 
School management with the support of the teaching staff always tried to keep up with the times. School training and production base was growing, teaching staff was being renewed, educational programmes and people’s attitudes were changing, the educational institution entered a new innovative period of development. The status of Agricultural Lyceum was obtained in 1993, and then, the educational institution got the status of College in 2000.
 
Over the years, more than 25 thousand specialists trained in various specialized fields graduated from this College, but the agricultural field remains the leading one.

ROUTES TO SITES

KUZBASS’ 300TH ANNIVERSARY

On August 27, 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on celebrations of the 300th anniversary of the establishment of Kuzbass at the federal level.

Researchers have learned that coal deposits were first discovered in Kuzbass in 1721, when Russian prospector Mikhailo Volkov found a black stone on the right bank of the Tom river, in the area where the city of Kemero is now located. He sent the samples to Siberia’s main mining directorate. Volkov’s report was the first official document to mention a coal deposit in Kuzbass. The Collegium of Mining of the Russian Empire registered this discovery on July 6, 1721.

In the same year, a research expedition led by German scientist Daniel Gottlieb Messerschmidt worked in Kuzbass. He also confirmed that there was a coal deposit in the place discovered by Mikhailo Volkov. Messerschmidt also found coal deposits on the right bank of the Tom river, but closer to present-day Novokuznetsk. Thus, 1721 was the year when coal was discovered both in the northern and southern parts of the Kuznetsk coal basin.

Kuzbass owes its name to geographer, geologist, diplomat, and traveler Pyotr Chikhachev, who in 1842 assessed coal reserves in the area and first introduced the term Kuznetsk coal basin, byname Kuzbass.

The discovery of one of the largest coal basins in the country and in the world is a landmark event not only for our region, but for Russia in general.

That is why the presidential decree instructed all regions of the country to participate in the preparation and holding of anniversary events in Kuzbass.

Agreements on social and economic cooperation have been signed with almost all regions of the Russian Federation.

Preparations for the celebration of the 300th anniversary, in fact, are the first stage in the implementation of the strategy of socio-economic development of the Kemerovo region until 2035, which was developed together with the region’s residents. Slightly more than 500 days have passed since the start of the 1,000-day countdown, and Kuzbass is now midway to its anniversary.

By 2021, the region should make a major push towards economic and social development, and lives of every resident of the region should improve.

This will be the first step towards achieving an ambitious goal of rebuilding Kuzbass, raising its living standards and making it the number one region!